Microneedling or Collagen Induction Therapy
Updated: Apr 1, 2020
What is Microneedling?
Microneedling or "collagen induction therapy" is a popular procedure performed at medical spas. Micro-needling involves creating small controlled injuries in the epidermis and dermis of your skin. This activates the body’s natural healing process..
Why Microneedling Works
When the body detects injury, it activates several responses. As part of these responses, the body releases growth factors, white blood cells, and platelets. These are important to the health of the skin, but their levels aren’t as high as people become older. The same can be said for elastins and collagen. With microneedling though, elastins and collagen production increases, which further improves the health and appearance of the skin.
Other Benefits of Microneedling
Anti-aging is the #1 benefit of microneedling. Other benefits include:
Minimizes Acne Scarring
Moisturizes the Skin
Evens Out Skin Tone
About the Microneedling Procedure
After the initial consultation with one of our Registered Nurses, the appropriate and customized microneedling protocol will be chosen.
1. Face, neck, decollate will be thoroughly washed with a cleanser
2. Medical grade prescription-strength anesthetic cream is applied to the face to ensure comfort during the procedure. This will stay on your skin approximately 20 minutes under occlusive plastic wrap.
3. Lidocaine cream will be cleaned off your skin and a solution of chlorhexidine will be applied to the skin to ensure it is free of any microorganism and the area is aseptic.
4. Several layers of melanin suppressant solution and cell conditioner is applied to the skin to maximize the effects of the procedure with minimal risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
5. A growth factor and vitamin cocktail are applied to the skin with a dropper prior to using the Derma Pen. It is an advanced mesotherapy product that contains a higher concentration of hyaluronic acid compared to other solutions in this category. That makes this incredible cosmetic rejuvenation option more effective than its competition. It does an excellent job of restoring hydration to dry and mature skin. Thanks to the different amino acids, vitamins, and minerals in its formula, it stimulates collagen production in the skin and corrects superficial facial lines.
6. A Derma Pen that is used for collagen induction therapy. The pen has a sterile cartridge that contains multiple (9 to 36) very thin needles. The Registered Nurse will assess the client’s pain tolerance and ensure that the procedure is very comfortable when starting to microneedle with Derma Pen. The depth of penetration, as well as the speed at which needles penetrate, can be adjusted per area treated and the desired result.
7. After all the face/neck and decollate has been microneedled, Celluma LED light therapy dome is applied for 20 minutes. This will help with healing, reduce redness/swelling and boost collagen and elastin production.
8. As the last step, a collagen sheet mask is applied to cool down the skin and infuse it with healing ingredients, such as arnica.
9. SPF 50 is applied to the face if the procedure is performed early in the day. A post-care regimen is also provided.
Contact Our Medical Spa in Greenwood Village for Microneedling
Microneedling is an effective aesthetic procedure to prevent the signs of aging and improve the health and beauty of your face. Contact us now for a free consultation to learn about this procedure and if it can help you achieve your desired look.